Sunday, March 1, 2009

sich Obama on em

After years of no real adult leadership, it feels like our president is at least acting like an adult who knows he's responsible to lead. And he's taking it seriously. I can't think of any institution in the world whose leadership makes me proud to follow. The church has been besmirched (is that the word?), national politics has integrity problems, the parish priests are poorly prepared to pastor a diverse and half-female flock, and I have to wonder: when you deny women a seat at the table, what do you expect? I saw a moment today at mass: one of the FEMALE acolytes in her duties near the altar, was handing the priest the clear glass chalice. The snapshot I caught and hold in my mind's eye was of her two hands offering the chalice to the priests outstretched hands.. The priest received the chalice from her. Her young adolescent hands sported bright fuschia nail polish. Beautiful! (It turns out the night before was the 8th grade Father/Daughter dance and both girl acolytes had evidently painted their nails for the event.) The phrase that popped into my head as I beheld this scene: "Church, what are you afraid of?" Lovely young woman threatens celibate priest with her femininity. What a tremendous and terrible loss. I'll not forget those hands.

1 comment:

Alison's Recipes said...

You said you wanted comment - can't agree about leadership in our country - but do love the fuscia nails connection. I think the church is waking up to that. At least the priests I know welcome it. Maybe I'll go paint my nails!!!