Sunday, March 22, 2009

offering it up

Pictured: the first Sweet William bloom on flowers grown from seed last fall.

This evening I proposed to John that he "offer it up". He was dreading going to his Confirmation class tonight! "The other kids are so *****." I offered my sympathy. The more vocal members of this class are mostly interested in hearing their own voices and apparently have little to say. I remember those days being stuck in a room with my peers and not being able to flee. Of course, it doesn't help that John's brother is home for spring break and only for a little while. He'd rather be with Billy hangin out and watching edifying films like "Role Models". Anyway, I shared with him the notion of "offering it up", which the nuns and my mother used to recommend. My mother usually suggested it when I was whining about something. I have to say even then I did welcome the notion. It was something I could hang on to... that my suffering and pain, my frustration or simple inconvenience wasn't for nothing. I could couple it to the suffering of Christ and thereby elevate it.. and I could share in the suffering that all mankind endures at points. As I offered this to John I realized that it would behoove me to practice this discipline myself. AND HOW! This Lent has been hardly Lenten for me. So, now my own voice, informed by the nuns and my mother, is echoing in my head ... "offer it up."

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Sweet Billiam! I like offering it up, too. I also like "loving the *******." I mean, their moms like them and worry that they are big, fat bores who aren't well-liked. Don't give the ******* a break, give their moms a break!