Saturday, March 14, 2009

indian/pakistani restaurant


We had dinner last night at a restaurant on College Ave. The food was delicious and the atmosphere friendly and relaxed. There was an interesting mural above our table just below the big round sky light. As we studied it we made the discovery that many of the figures in the drawing were in some pose of copulation. Hmmm. We wondered if we were seeing what we thought we were seeing? Yep-per! So, when our wait person came by I asked her where this art came from? She explained that they are images found in many temples (I presume in India or Pakistan) I commented that we didn't really have anything like that in Christian churches... and she, without missing a beat, with water pitcher in mid pour, smiled and said "maybe it's in your future!" Maybeeeeee! I've had some exposure to Hindu gods and goddesses and they are strange and foreign to my Western sensibilities. But, it does occur to me that there is a comfort or an acknowledgement of the power of sex and sexuality there that I wonder if we try to ignore. I'm just sayin'. It strikes me that our culture still doesn't seem to have a very mature understanding of sexuality. No culture has the complete corner on this issue.

No comments: