Thursday, July 9, 2009

take no tunic

Princes Garden, Edinburgh, May 30, 2009.


Jesus tells the disciples in chapter 10 of Matthew's gospel: keep on keepin on. Take the good news and share it, but don't waste time with people who won't listen. Sunday's gospel described Jesus' experience going home to his kin, and how there he and his msg were not received. Here we get a glimpse of what Jesus found as he revealed his own truth. Ouch. He gives his disciples a heads up that they will encounter both apathy and hostility. Keep on keepin on. It must have been discouraging for the followers to discover that what they experienced as the good news was NOT to other people. Kinda like sharing with someone your love for a great movie only to find that either they are not inspired by what you love OR they downright disliked your film choice. Ohhhhh. I just read the dedication or quote at the beginning of The Razor's Edge: "The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over, thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard." - from the Katha-Upanishad. Does it really have to be so hard? For me, yes. In this moment, I'm aware that there is always the invitation to be willing to see that my ways are not God's ways. What am I being invited to see today? in particular within my own family and those close to me?

No comments: