Saturday, July 18, 2009

briefly

In Matthew's gospel, chapter 12: Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,my beloved in whom I delight;I shall place my Spirit upon him,and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.He will not contend or cry out,nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not break,a smoldering wick he will not quench,until he brings justice to victory. And in his name the Gentiles will hope. Before these verses we learn that Jesus has been healing people, in fact, it says that he healed all the people. I'm trying to imagine what happened here acc. to Matthew. It sounds like Jesus' approach is to heal and then lay low. He asks the people not to tell anyone about his deeds. He knows he is in deep water, but because he can't help himself, he heals people. He has compassion for the people. That's the Jesus I want to focus on... the heart that loves that much. Someone said recently, Edwina Gately? , that the Spirit reaches us through the cracks in our hearts. Hmmm. Jesus must have had a lot of cracks.

No comments: