Tuesday, July 28, 2009

matthew's gospel

I'm having trouble with Matthew's gospel. Today's reading presents Jesus' explanation of the parable of the weeds. Matthew is nothing if not hard hitting. Here there is mention of the devil, the Evil One, burning up weeds...Ch. 13, vs. 40-43: The Son of Man will send his angels,and they will collect out of his Kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers.They will throw them into the fiery furnace,where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear.” My recollection about Matthew from my studies is that he was desperate to persuade the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah and he was frustrated that many were NOT persuaded. So, his rhetoric is more fierce.. as if his message had a time limit. Perhaps that is my discomfort with Matthew. I'm still weighing all the data, and discerning what is worth getting off the dime for.... What is Matthew's message? The phrase that really grabbed me though: "all who cause others to sin"... how do I cause others to sin? through my own actions and my own words? Today, I will be alert to ways that I may lead others down an unhealthy/unholy path.

No comments: