Tuesday, July 14, 2009

my favorite recipe

This quilt was made by my mother for me on the occasion of my 40th birthday. That was a few years ago. She made it all by hand. That is what she enjoys! It hangs in my family room and reminds me of my mother... and how she loves to make things with her hands and of how much she loves her children. I know the feeling!


I'm making my favorite Moroccan Carrots recipe right now. As I was concocting I thought it'd be fun to share the recipe and to ask my readers if they would share their favorite recipe. Let me say right up front, that I am not a great cook. I'm really not even a good cook, but I do like to eat and this recipe is pretty fool proof. So, here goes:





3 lbs. carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut on sharp diagonal into 1/3 inch slices


1 C fruity olive oil


1/4 C balsamic vinegar


3/4 C red wine vinegar


1/4 C. sweet Hungarian paprika


1/4 C ground cumin


5 lg. cloves garlic, coarsely chopped


1 C. minced fresh parsley


1 T salt or to taste





1. Place the carrots in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Cook over high heat just until the carrots are crisp-tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Drain immediately. Do not rinse with cool water.


2. While the carrots are cooking, make the dressing: Whisk the oil, both vinegars together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the paprika, cumin, and salt.


3. Add the hot carrots to the dressing and stir to coat. Add the garlic and the parsley and toss to combine. Let the salad cool to room temperature, then serve. The salad can be stored in the fridge for several days. For the best flavor, let it warm to room temp before serving.


Makes 10-12 servings.

No comments: