Friday, May 30, 2008

build her up


I'm wondering about women in the Catholic Church... as much as there is a begrudging acknowledgement that women are critical to the mission of the Church, it seems that for this Catholic woman, that my presence is more a source of irritation for the male leaders I encounter. What is that about? What is the meaning of what seems to be? (I think I was offered that question when I was at JFK Univ. years ago!) I'm feeling the need to go back to the wigwam and to hang with my sisters and get reminded of my own worth. I'm thrown back, like so many women through the ages, into the TRUTH of my worth and into the most important relationship there is... my own with the Creator. Is it important to stay with the question though: what is the meaning of what seems to be? and what must I do? (I found this pic of the little blue light we lit for Tommy when we were in a small chapel in Bagnoles de L'Orne in Normandy last October.... answered prayer: he has found his path, for now, a job with NRDC.)

2 comments:

Alison said...

Here's a thought or hypothesis: Priests aren't team players as a rule. So anyone who wants to be part of their team is an irritation. And women generally operate on teams. Lay men are usually operating within the Knights of Columbus, so the priest can delegate their part in the mission (to the group) and so there isn't the same irritation or rub that a singular woman presents who wants to be part of the "team."

Katie said...

thanks a lot for that! good thoughts and insightful. I'll try to avoid being myself with priests. Atleast I'll get a break then, eh?