Monday, April 28, 2008

on the edge

I'm on the edge of something... an insight about my life as a military man's daughter. "Men's violence toward women"... mentioned in Women in Black's statement about themselves. Violence. There are all kinds of violence.. and I have negative reactions to some sorts of violence, but then I perpetuate them myself. For example, in the use of language, I may use "strong" words and frighten my listener. I'm interested in learning about non-violent speech and have resisted buying a book I saw on the subject. Why resistant? Because as I become more conscious, there's a chance that there will be created a greater divide between me and those around me. Then I might judge. That's the greatest violence I think I commit against others. Is there a path through this? I can invite God into this desire or, as one of my mentors suggests, name the intention at the beginning of my day. Then, check how I did at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Oh, it sounds like you are so ready to take Yvonne Rand's class on Buddhist reflections on speech...she talks repeatedly about the habit of judgement, but the class in June at the Yoga room in Berkeley will focus on habits of speech.