Tuesday, April 22, 2008

is it love or money?

There's an expression: "Money makes the world go round"? or is it "Love makes the world go round"? I just paid a traffic ticket: $159. I wasn't being an intentional scofflaw, but misread street signs. Now I'm being punished. Ouch. The good news is that it won't go on my permanent record, or it won't count as points that will affect my insurance rates. OH! That makes me feel A LOT BETTER. There is NO MERCY. So, as I wrote my check to the Walnut Creek Superior Court, I said a little prayer: may the police officers who work to secure our safety and maintain the law in our neighborhoods be blessed and may they bless the people they serve. Amen. That feels much better than the other things that want to take up space in my person. and I really do mean it. I know a police officer and he deals regularly with messes. God help him.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Either way you look at it, love or money, they are a double-edged sword. Love is so close to hate, and money both gives us choices and binds us to...whatever. Another saying, "Money is the root of all evil" comes to mind. Is that a saying?...same with law enforcement. I felt so badly with my recent interraction with Denver's finest - like a criminal, really - and resented the whole scene; yet, where would we be without them? For whom, and in what ways am I that double-edged sword?

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

I also got a tciket up in san Rafael in March...and it also cost a bunch, but I couldn't begrudge the cop. I drove over to the shoulder to avoid a long line of traffic...pretty dumb...and while I have said a couple prayers about this, I have also wondered, "why do some people get off without a ticket and others not?" grrrrr.