Monday, July 12, 2010

july 12, 2010-monday


This is from the prophet Isaiah! "Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; learn to do good. Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan's plea, defend the widow." Here Isaiah says that Yahweh is telling the Israelites that he doesn't need any more animal sacrifice. What he yearns for? Listed above. What I hear? Love one another. Isaiah lived in the 700's B.C. The second Isaiah lived in the 500's B.C. Either Isaiah lived a LONG time before Jesus of Nazareth. The message was and is still: love one another. What does that look like? what does it mean to love someone? To trust in, believe in, hope for, care for, forgive another. What else ...no, seriously, I mean it? what else must I do.... reminds me of the rich young man who asks Jesus : what must I do to inherit the kingdom? Jesus says: give everything away and follow me. OMIGOSH! That is asking an awful lot! So, what are my riches that I must give up? and what would following His path look like? I'll take my answer off line. I'm gonna go sing about it in my car.... har!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Oh, Katie, that's a tough one. We went to a Shaker Village in Kentucky (in 2002, I think, on our way to Denver to celebrate Pat and Bob's 45th?) and the idea had been that people would turn over everything to the community and live happily ever after. It lasted one generation! It makes me crazy that the times I'm closest to God are the times I'm most bereft. I'm NOT going to pray to be bereft! I can love, love, love though. Even in the good times. I can love. Whew.