Friday, July 16, 2010

friday, july 16, 2010


Our Lady of Mt. Carmel... don't 'know much about Mt. Carmel. I'll look that up. Jesus' gospel today is the story of the disciples eating grain from a field on the Sabbath. The Pharisees criticize them for it and Jesus says, essentially, the Sabbath was made for man, and not the other way around. The Son of Man is the master of the temple. My wonderings want to lead me to the question: where in life do I allow structural demands to supercede the life of the Spirit? Where am I not hearkening to the life of God within and ignoring them for the sake of some "societal norm" or law that is outdated or not as important as the life giving spirit within. I spoke to a woman yesterday who will be coming to speak to our Women's Group .. the title of her talk "Women Responding with a Resounding Yes!" I'm thinking about the ways that I ignore the yes's within that yearn to be spoken. The yes's that I would love to act on: some ideas I have for quilts, some calls I would love to make, some questions I'd love to ask. It seems to me that the God of love and of life would like me to follow those promptings too. Often, I worry that the prompting isn't valid OR that I don't have the stamina to follow through on the prompting OR that it isn't a valid desire. Hmmm. Consider this posting an invitation to do that thing that is an answer to the prompting of the spirit within. (that you might dismiss or ignore.)

2 comments:

Jennie said...

hmm. you still thinking about a pilgrimage? Just before I read your posting, I was looking for some that wouldn't require a passport, so it was like a sign!Maybe a Pere Marquette path or a Padre Kino visit. Such a "local" pilgrimage would require a lot of walking in order to make it not be just a regular visit to a historic shrine, wouldn't it?

Katie said...

unless you could build into the experience some stop gap prayer or significant ritual as you make your way... drive, plane, train. As you drive, you stop every 3 hrs and say a rosary or ? .. or read something written by that saint.. or write, or attend a daily mass as you go.Maybe fast? it would take some planning, but that's do-able. Where's Padre Kino? Wouldn't it be cool to do that?