Monday, April 12, 2010

monday, april 12, 2010 Roger's birthday

Happy Birthday to my youngest, sweetest brother in law. I'll never forget the best hug I ever got was from Roger, right after his wedding ceremony took place. He and my sister Jennie got married in a concelebrated ceremony. Roger is a faithful German Swedish Michigan Lutheran and Jennie is military brat Irish Catholic. Both a Lutheran minister and a Catholic priest presided over the wedding. One of our fondest memories of that event, btw, was when the brand new young minister explained to the wedding party that they were to keep their eyes on the cross as the entrance song was being played. They were NOT to turn and look at the bride as she came down the aisle with her father. Pete and my brother, Rob, were groomsmen and they listened to the minister as he explained his rationale for this variation on the bridal procession norm. As soon as the music swelled, Rob and Pete did a pivot and turned to face Jennie as she came smiling down the aisle. The renegades. The same thought ran through their heads: are you kidding? we are here to celebrate Jennie and Roger.. Jesus is here in our midst.. and he is all about Jennie and Roger. She and he were both radiant. Back to the hug: so I met up with the wedding party briefly back in the hall way adjacent to the altar. I ran into Roger first and went to give him a hug. When Roger's happy it is no secret. Dimples in his cheeks, twinkling blue eyes and a killer smile that all adds up to infection! Total hug! My mother used to say of some guys: "He's built like a Mack truck" and that would fit Roger's description. I'm used to hugging tall guys. Roger is my size but built like a Mack truck. You KNOW you've been hugged when you meet the truck. Total joy! I'll never forget it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROGER!! You're the best!! Wishing you a year of happy hugs!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Roger says he's more of a garbage truck now! But thanks you for the happy birthday wishes. He doesn't remember the pastor telling the guys not to look at me. That's just goofy.