Thursday, April 1, 2010

Holy Thursday!

just discovered pink ranunculus coming up and getting ready to bloom, red orange and white freesias in bloom, our new apple tree outside our bedroom window has pink and white blossoms on it. I moved our basil plant into the sun. It was in the shadows of the ebullient Italian flat parsley plant. The chard plants will remain in their squares until a new tomato plant arrives to replace it. For some reason, the chard did not take off this season. Not sure why not. Pete and I watched a documentary film entitled "Botany of Desire" with Michael Pollan, and the lovely Frances McDormand narrating. The subject? potatoes, tulips, cannabis, and apples. Visually, a feast. The analysis: the interplay between man and plants through the years. McDonald's and its diners influence on the potato industry. The Dutch's fascination with the tulip and its impact on their history/economy. The history of the potato.. from South America to Ireland to Idaho. The sordid story of marijuana's journeys from Mexico to Mendocino County, and Johnny Appleseeds unintended provision of hard cider through his spread of apples on the frontier leading to the push for prohibition. Apples grow wild in Kazakstan (sp)... and there are farmers crazy for apples working hard in upstate NY to enlarge the genetic variety of apples to save them. Listening to Michael Pollan inspired me to think again about what I put into my body. I can not boast about resisting a french fry on someone's plate. I don't want to make a religion of food.. but I could make an effort to eat more plants, and consider if I'm ingesting nutrients or not, eh? I think I'll go share an orange with John... or an apple... and be thankful.

No comments: