Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pete's poppy


Last winter, Pete cast a handful of poppy seeds onto a patch of earth near our driveway next to some lavender plants. Oh, we couldn't wait til they grew into full blown poppy plants. We waited and nothing happened. We don't know if it was lack of water or the previous homeowners use of Round Up. Bummer. But last week I pulled into the driveway and there on the OTHER side of the driveway was a solitary poppy blooming her heart out. So, I had to capture her in her full glory. The best laid plans.. often go ... differently.
Rick Steves says that as we travel we are likely to be happiest if we lower our expectations. Be open to .. different. That's helpful advice for life too. I think there's Buddhist wisdom in there too.
Less attachment fosters peace. Christ emptied himself. Thank you Jesus of Nazareth, son of Mary, child of Israel. I wish I had a Seder to go to on this evening of Passover!

1 comment:

Alison's Recipes said...

I think it's Chris Neigh (pronounced Nye - not sure of the spelling) who sings "Empty me so that I can be filled with you." The words to the song are beautiful. You should look it up on the computer and listen. Pete's poppy is beautiful!