Monday, February 2, 2009

and away we go!


read that with Ralph Cramden's voice ... is that what he said at the end of the show? Jackie Gleason... he kinda scared me. With a little help from Heidi at the quilt store I assembled some fabrics with which to make a quilt for Pete. It is going to be fun. We began with three or four fabrics that Pete picked out himself, which really left me worried. Boy, I would never have chosen those fabrics myself. How are they beautiful to Pete? and how can I honor them with accompanying fabrics? he said I could run with it and he had confidence that what I chose would "enhance" them. Who knows if he will enjoy the finished product. Heidi was awesome.. she's well acquainted with all of the fabrics in the store, and with the barest distinction between colors.. blue reds from yellow reds, yellow greens from blue greens, whites from ivories, etc. We looked for "movement" and print size and tried to match old fashioned prints with kindred spirit prints. Each pretty pairing is like a good marriage. Complimentary and enhancing. Balanced. You don't recognize it maybe at first, but then a longer look and then, oh yes. "Perfect." Thank you to Pete and thank you to Heidi for this opportunity to create something new.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

That's beautiful! And not just the colors, but the way you put them together. just lovely!

Katie said...

oops, that's not the quilt I made for pete. That's a pic of a quilt I saw in Petaluma. Pete's has lots of green, reds, golds... some blue and brown and ivory. I only have fat quarters at this point and a pattern. Class starts next week!

Jennie said...

Oh, well I see why it was on display. And I'm sure yours will be display-worthy, too. Is it going to be a bed quilt or a hanging one?

John Hayes said...

wall hanging!