Wednesday, February 4, 2009

look out!

Pete said to his co-workers that he was going to leave work early today. His wife had been in a car accident and he was going home to cope with things. His co-worker, Virginia, said he should just leave immediately. She was concerned. Pete assured her that no one had been injured and that the car was just banged up. She said, oh good, and wondered out loud if I'd been involved in an accident with someone from , you know, the nearby retirement community, hah! Pete joined in the laughter and offered that, yes, someone from Rossmoor had hit my car. I often wonder how our older drivers manage. I can hardly make the lightning quick decisions required to get on to the freeway, navigate the school streets, avoid pedestrians near BART at interesections with four stop signs. It's dizzying. Today, an older driver may have sealed the drivers' license question: should I stop driving now? He simply did not see me (in front of him in the next lane over) and he turned in to me. I feel really badly for him. We'll all be there eventually. I just hope someone tells me to stop driving before I get in an accident. and I hope that Mr. **** is being comforted over at his house in Rossmoor.

4 comments:

Alison's Recipes said...

I'm so sorry about the accident, for both of you. Maybe it's lucky he hit you - who would be kind and patient with him - to end his driving career. He could've hit someone rude, or worse yet, someone who might sue him. And then he'd not only be carless, but a mess of nerves and anticipation of ruin.

Alison's Recipes said...

I'm so sorry about the accident, for both of you. Maybe it's lucky he hit you - who would be kind and patient with him - to end his driving career. He could've hit someone rude, or worse yet, someone who might sue him. And then he'd not only be carless, but a mess of nerves and anticipation of ruin.

Katie said...

I just got a call from Mr. ****. He just wanted to let me know that he was fine and was glad to hear that I was fine. We swapped estimate costs for repairs... congratulated ourselves that it wasn't TOO bad and we wished eachother well. Quite quite nice. Thanks be to God.

Jennie said...

Every day I cross two lanes when I merge onto I-664 from I-64 (over the water feature). Most days there are no cars in the two lanes I cross because, well, it's an odd place. This week, everytime I look over my shoulder to make sure no one is there, I look full into the sun. and I go across on faith that no one is there. So far so good. sounds like Mr *** just ran out of that good luck. good luck to him!