Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2010


Today is the Monday after the feast of the Epiphany:

from Matthew's gospel:

"From that time on, Jesus began to preach and say,
“Repent, for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

He went around all of Galilee,
teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom,
and curing every disease and illness among the people.
His fame spread to all of Syria,
and they brought to him all who were sick with various diseases
and racked with pain,
those who were possessed, lunatics, and paralytics,
and he cured them.
And great crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, and Judea,
and from beyond the Jordan followed him."

Even if you don't believe that Jesus is God, this story handed down to us about this man is my idea of a true hero. I don't know of anyone else who has had these things said of him or her. The celebrities in our world have lots of things said about them, but I don't know of any who had such a positive, healing effect ... How did he do it? I've had a few encounters with individuals whose very presence, their very being provided this all encompasssing salve for my scaredy cat heart or psyche. I wonder if they were aware that energy flowed out of them when I experienced their power. The things that seems true of them all is that they seemed to have a deep reservoir of love... that may have once known great pain and they took that pain and it was turned into gold by a greater source of power... I will take the pain I perceive in the world and then feel, and I will take it to Jesus, who suffered for love of all... and ask him to bless the depths.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

"turned into gold by a greater source of power." Katie, that's the very definition of purgatory!