Sunday, October 3, 2010

slow down October!

It's the third of the month already. My birthday is in 12 days. Looking out my window I just saw a swirl of leaves lift up into the air and be blown across the street and into the neighbor's bushes. The fog is in over the hills. The sky is grey allowing the true colors of the vegetation to stand. My sister posted a verse from the second reading for today's mass. She's in Maryland and has already been to church. From Jennie: "Loved the second reading. 'For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self control'." I lay awake last night trying to compose in my head a letter to our neighbors alerting them to the fact that some mysterious person vandalized our car parked in the driveway. I visualized each of our neighbors in their homes.. who lives in their household... what their lives are like. What would it be like to receive a notice like the one I propose? I was up in the night.. padding around in the street at 1 in the morning checking the status of our other cars parked on the street. All was quiet. Except for our neighbor's television whose laughter I could hear through her living rm window. The night before there allegedly was police action at the end of our street and I know our immediate neighbors were having a pot smoking circle in their back yard. It was a wild Friday night. So, what would be my goal in circulating this notice? Just to connect the neighborhood. I think I'll call the Lafayette police and ask if they can come talk to some of us and advise us on neighborhood watch stuff. Can't hurt, right? and we might even TALK to our neighbors in the process.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I was thinking about your car when I was listening to that very reading. What did the police say?

Katie said...

Mrs. Hayes , what do you want us to do?? and please call us if you think anything is suspicious.. we'll send people out. I guess I gotta stay up all night and keep an ear out for silliness in the neighborhood.. let's just call me Mrs. Kravitz.