Friday, October 8, 2010

friday October 8, 2010


I spoke to our Egyptian post office clerk yesterday when I was mailing Robbie a bunch of reading material, including the sample ballot for the upcoming election. I had just finished reading a book by Rosemary Mahoney entitled Down the Nile. I enjoyed this book. I have no familiarity with Egypt and her experience rowing a boat down a stretch of the Nile and her interactions with the natives was really fun for me. I, too, love rowing a boat, so I could appreciate her desire for this experience. Anyway, back to the clerk. He said he grew up in Alexandria, went to college there and was one Christian among many Muslims. He worked there before coming to America, where he said everyone wants to come. He shared that his coworkers didn't work very hard because they kept taking time off to pray to Allah. They would leave the office and wind their way to the mosque and then pray for 5 minutes and then wind their way back to work. They were gone for an hour. Mostly they stood around, smoking and chatting with their friends. Then, they would criticize him for not praying... or for praying to a prophet, Jesus. He also shared how beautiful Egypt is.. and that I should put it at the top of my travel destinations list. He can't go home this year because air fare is so expensive and because his relatives expect him to bring gifts for all of his nieces and nephews. He is the rich uncle. Back to the religious life... didn't Jesus say don't make a show of your praying to the Father? ... maybe he knew that it was a temptation and that it really doesn't help the relationship. Like kids who brag about being friends with the popular kid. The friendship will be evident .. because people will have seen you hanging out, sharing similar interests, etc. I'm not picking on the Egyptians here... and another thing: the dominant culture raises its eyebrow at difference... and of course, assumes that its way is THE way. I'm gonna be on the lookout for the ways that I am complicit in either of these temptations. For starters, I am NOT going to sign my kids up for soccer this year. SCORE!!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Nuns wear habits. And some of them wear honking crosses. I don't question their holiness, devotion, or relationship with God. I'm just saying they don't do all their praying in private! we bought our house in northern VA from an Egyptian couple. They are coptic (or eastern or antiochian. I know there's a difference, but I don't know which they are). Anyway, Said's cousin owned the house next door to ours but he only lived there part time, so Said would come back every week or so to check on the place. He would hand Becky a kitkat bar over the back fence on every visit. When he sold the house and came over for his last visit, he brought her a 5 lb box of kitkats. (she was two and no man will ever live up to that kindness) Don't suppose your mailman could take the relatives kitkat bars...too bad!

Katie said...

I do!! they're just askin' to be questioned!! that is sweet about the kitkats.... .

Robbie said...

I remember when you didn't sign any of us up for soccer. That really came as a shock when soccer season rolled around.

I got the package. Thanks for mailing it. I sent the absentee application back right away (which I felt I should do, esp since it's exactly what I've been telling people to do on my route). I'm excited about the recipes in the magazine.

ttyl

Terri said...

I'm taking your lead and not signing my kids up for soccer, either. Thanks for that.
But I know what you mean (I think). The other day in the kitchen at work, three women came in who were obviously full of love for Jesus, and even more full of love for themselves for loving Jesus. They went on and on, giving "humble" examples of how wonderful they were because they believed. I thought: God, please don't let me EVER sound like them. Matthew 6:6 - "When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you."