Wednesday, October 6, 2010

simplify, simplify, simplify


Reading Fr. James Martin's book and the chapter on Simplicity or Poverty, actually. Simultaneously, our women's group is taking a look at the Beatitudes... and yesterday, the one that goes: Blessed are the poor in spirit (Matthew's version) or Blessed are you poor (Luke's version) the difference explained by the communities to whom Matthew and Luke were preaching. Matthew's audience were likely house churches who didn't know poverty themselves and Luke's audience would have known poverty. So, for what that's worth... I'm pondering if I see myself as poor. and thinking about how when I am aware of my poverty, how I do feel blessed, because it is then that I am most aware of my right relationship to all things, including the Creator. Well, truth be told, my poverty doesn't often feel good to begin with, but if I sit with it and really own it, and dig deep I can wind my way to the truth: that my identity lies in my status as a child of God. Nothing more, nothing less. Then I can lean on the Father and trust that essentially... all is well. I'm always struck that when missioners remark on their experiences with the people to whom they minister, that they always say how happy the people are... that yes, their struggles are great, but there is a simplicity and an integrity and beauty in the people they serve. Aileen, my sister in law, who went to Haiti imm. after the earthquake there was overwhelmed by the Haitians grace. She LONGS to go back to be among them. (She goes in Feb.) Father in heaven, help me to know your companionship... to welcome your friendship that knows me most deeply as your own blessed daughter. A-men-ay. (That's for you Robbie!!)

1 comment:

Terri said...

I think the Beatitudes are tough stuff. Blessed are the poor in spirit. Check. At our most simple, our most vulnerable, our most powerless. Lordy, my head hurts. Must.think.on.this.