Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the third chapter




I just learned about a book written about the stage of life into which Pete and I are entering. The title: The Third Chapter, by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot. I haven't gotten the book yet, but I read excerpts. It was recommended by my spiritual director who is in the middle of reading it herself. I'm eager to get my hands on it, but have a feeling that I already have the gist of it. The book includes many stories of women and men moving into this third chapter and finding exciting directions to take and learning new things both about the world and themselves. I've been really struggling with this place in life.. betwixt and between.. these years with growing children... leaving those years and moving on to another phase, without them. In John's gospel Jesus says “I have come that they may have life, and have it in abundance." The last 25 years have been years of abundance. My angst of late has been borne out of the not knowing what is to come. and not being confident that the next phase will be full of life. I am reminded that our Lord wants this for all of God's children, no matter what age or circumstance. Including us middle- aged folks. I don't know that I'll ever get over the boys being "gone", but there is a little glimmer of hope shining into the darkness for things to come.

No comments: