Friday, October 23, 2009

signs of the times


IN today's gospel reading from Luke, Jesus asks his followers why they don't know how to interpret the present times... as they know how to interpret the signs of the weather? Hmm. BECAUSE there is little reward in doing that! If we look around us and see the pain and suffering of others, then we will be invited to suffer with them. Unless we have a grounding in a compassionate creator then how can we wade into the pain and suffering of the world without the fear of being swallowed up by it? At Easter we sing a jubilant "I Know that my Redeemer Lives"... in the moment we believe the words we sing. But, when we're back in the trenches sometimes it is challenging to live as if we really believed it when faced with lives torn apart by illness, poverty, dysfunction and just plain old life. Today, I will try to be aware of the signs of the times. Where in the world am I being called to believe in the power of the Risen One, that power that overcomes death and and is grounded in the source of all life.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

This made me think, "So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn" (the world is too much with us late and soon) for you, but as I started to type, I thought of The Sound of Music (hills are alive). You can be in tune with the times by loving where you are and thanking God for the beauty around you. Wade into the suffering if you are called, but remember the good!

Katie said...

but Jesus went out looking for the ones who were on the margins... it is necessary, it seems to me, to be grounded yes, in what feeds your spirit. I need to see the face of God in the poor and the marginalized in order to see God in me. Know what I mean?