Tuesday, October 20, 2009

october 20, 2009


i find Christianity to be VERY HARD. In today's reading from Luke's gospel, Jesus directs his disciples with these words: “Gird your loins and light your lamps and be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding, ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival." Readiness. I remember when I was rowing for my college's crew team. We worked out a lot, ran, lifted weights, rowed at 5 a.m. in the dark and sometimes rain. We ate a lot when we weren't working out or racing, or sleeping. It was all preparation for the races. I remember having to decide if I ate this donut or orange juice was I risking an upset stomach when I needed to have my full strength for the boat. Being in labor too with our boys I remember that focus that was required to get through the moment, in order to be prepared for the ... next moment. There was not much of an option... either I collapsed into total unconsciousness and lost my connection to the process or I stayed with the process and joined my efforts to it. Pete and I had taken the birthing classes so we had been advised just exactly how we were to stay focused and to work with the process. So, I have had the experience of being called upon to really "show up". It is NOT EASY! Jesus is saying here to his friends that to follow him we need to "show up" and "be ready"... maybe if we do that, He'll take it from there..... and how do we do that? What comes to mind: empty ourselves.

3 comments:

Alison's Recipes said...

Katie, if you can't do it, how can I??? Man up, sister!

Robbie said...

hey mom, where's that photo from?

Katie said...

Hey Robbie, this picture was taken at Stanford Univ. over by the Cantor Art Museum... it's an Andy Goldsworthy creation.. like it? You guys were taking a break from water polo and we went over to see the Rodin sculpture garden and this. I remember thinking, "oh, I wish Robbie could see this!" Another trip!