Sunday, November 21, 2010

King of Kings, November 21, 2010


Today is the Feast of Christ the King. I don't really relate to the person of King, but I just listened to a reflection on the significance of this feast for the Church, and I have to admit, I was swept up in the fervor of the song from the Messiah... recalling the words, "King of Kings, forever and ever, hallelujah, hallelujah" and the joy of that celebratory acknowledgement. I too celebrate the compassionate one who is one of us... the greatest lover of mankind... who gave flesh to the truth of our beloved nature too. Prince of Peace. Lord of Lords. I remember the first time I sang "The Messiah" with a choir in Berkeley. The Cal music department provided the music and we borrowed the libretto from them, and Peggy and I struggled along leaning on the other altos in the group, which was hard because I remember liking the tenor and bass parts too and some of the soprano as well. I pretty much chimed in where ever I recognized the melody. It was a heady experience and having never really looked at the words before, I was very moved by "He was despis-ed" and the mournful sound of that song. and then of course the Joy of the Hallelujah Chorus. I'll be singing again this year with friends in Pleasanton at a Lutheran church and I can't wait.. Dec. 10th. Lift up your voices, O Jerusalem.

No comments: