Wednesday, January 20, 2010

january 20, 2010-john francis hayes


Today is John's 17th birthday. 17 years ago he arrived at Valley Care Hospital in Pleasanton, CA. It was a rainy day much like today. He was born in the middle of the night. pete brought the "big boys" to the hospital later in the morning to meet "John". They were excited to meet him and took turns holding him. What a warm nest John was born into. He has been the icing on the cake. His sweet disposition, solid presence, wise old soul has anchored the family ...From the beginning, he has preferred being in the background. Observing. Laughing to himself. Ocassionally inspired to share his astute and often wry observations. A few weeks ago I commented that his new haircut made him look like an alien. Alright, I know. Parental mistake # 5,674. His response? He put his hands on my shoulders and said, very gently and sincerely, looking straight into my eyes with his big blue ones: "Mom, if I told you that your haircut made you look like an alien, it would hurt your feelings." BUSTED. Yes, of course he was right. I said I was truly sorry. But, honestly, sometimes I am compelled to say things just to get a rise out of him. So, that is where we find ourselves, John and me. He is a 17 year old boy. He pretty much finds me a pain. I live up to the claim. Happy Birthday John. Just for today, I will try NOT to hurt your feelings and to celebrate in the way you would find not annoying.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

Good post. just because you have zero comments on your last 5 blogs or whatever doesn't mean there aren't people reading and enjoying them. can't believe you said that to john. if i thought he looked like an alien (which i don't), even i wouldn't have been THAT honest. sounds like he handled it calmly though. how else, right?

Katie said...

I guess if I cared DEEPLY that people read my blog... I wouldn't keep writing, but I HAVE to write to keep my bearings. BEAR with me!