Monday, January 25, 2010

feast of the conversion of St. Paul


St. Paul's story always struck me as incredible. As a Zealot, he persecuted the Jews. However, he had an encounter with the risen Christ and fell from a horse, and forevermore was bound to preach the good news himself. For his work, he was killed in Rome. But today's feast celebrates his conversion. It seems to me that Paul is an example of one who learns the hard way, and like those of us who do learn things the hard way, the lesson resided deep in his bones thereafter. In one of his letters, he describes how the message of Christ burned in his bones and had to be preached. (Maybe I'm thinking of one of the prophets... oh well.) In my New Testament class at the Episcopal school there were many students who despised Paul (that is not too strong a characterization) because of his "attitude toward women". He does have a few things to say about women in his letters. and they are startling! but I chalk those comments up to those of a man in a time in history where women and men had a different road to hoe. I don't hold it against him. PARTICULARLY in light of all the good things he DID say. The 1st Letter to the Corinthians alone places Paul in a special place:


If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Thank you St. Paul for ALL, for your profound humanity and courage.

No comments: