Tuesday, November 10, 2009

feast of st. leo, pope and doctor of the church


Tuesday, November 10th, Feast of St. Leo. My father in law is Thomas Leo Hayes, likely named for this famous pope of the 5th century. He is perhaps best known for having met Attila the Hun outside Rome in 452, persuading him to turn back from his invasion of Western Europe. He is also credited with the dogma of the Incarnation... that Jesus was both man and God. Atleast that is what the bishop of Dallas, who I heard speak about Pope Leo, said. AND he centralized the church in Rome.. he may have had words with a Cyril of the Eastern Church and they decided to go their separate ways. The politics of Rome is too adult for me. Evidently, the latest detente with the Anglican church... welcoming married priests into the ranks of Catholic priests is being interpreted to be a political move. It is one way to answer the problem of a dwindling priesthood. I'm going to try to avoid being distracted by what "they" are doing in Rome and try harder to be a faithful servant myself. God help me!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

But Rome affects us all! I think the Anglican move gives a peaceful solution to a really hard problem for the Anglicans. We're really lousy at outreach, but no wonder-everything is viewed under a political lens!

Happy St Leo's Day!