Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cristo Rey, November 21, 2009

From Luke's gospel: "For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice." So, you say your a king? Well, no, I didn't say I was a king. Jesus responds to questioning by the Roman caesar. The political power seeks to establish who is in power? Among the Jews, this Jesus is now powerful? He is certainly making waves, having caught the attention of the religious establishment now too. What courage he possesses to stake his claim and not back down. He remains steadfast in his knowledge of the truth and in his preaching of it. I remember being little and knowing something to be true and being told by the grown ups in my world that I was wrong. The sensation within my Core Self was like the energy trapped in an incipient atomic explosion. I remember coming to an awareness that there are people and places where the truth is not heard. Certainly within my own self, there is a resistance to the truth. I used to tell the boys to put on their armor when they were facing a tough day at school. I was saying it kind of in jest to help them feel empowered.. but I'm thinking it would be good, in a similar vein, to invite the King to reside within me and be that voice reminding me of the truth. I need to consult the King of the Universe to act as the king of my universe. What would Christ the King look like in my imagining? Maybe the Jesus who spoke to the adulteress. Maybe the Jesus who commissioned Peter? Maybe the Jesus who died on the cross.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

This is the image that came to mind: http://dcpages.com/gallery/National_Shrine_Midnight_Mass/DSC03952_001.jpg.html While I was looking for Christ in Majesty on the web, I saw some I liked better (Sacre Couer in Paris?). It is so hard to separate the power and the glory part from the political part, isn't it? How do you know when you hear the truth versus hearing what you want to do and justifying it to yourself by calling it the truth? I'll keep trying!

Alison's Recipes said...

I'm still shocked that something honor untruths. Every single time. I cannot understand.