Saturday, January 17, 2009

can it be three years?

I was driving home from work yesterday and listening to Yo Yo Ma's Songs of Joy and Praise. Listening to Track 7, I suddenly recalled my grandmother, Elisabeth Riegel Witherspoon, and had an image of her playing her violin. Grandmother (Betty to some, Mother to my father) died almost three years ago, January 23, 2006. As a young college girl she attended Oberlin College to study music. She abandoned that to marry my grandfather, a teacher/engineer when she was only 20 years old. My grandfather said to me only a few years before he died, that he regretted that Betty never got to really do what she wanted to do, because she married him. In the moment, I said that she did do what she wanted to do. But, I knew what he was saying. There are things one doesn't do when one chooses one path, and studying violin might have been one. Anyway, back to the song. Listening to this "A Christmas Jig/Mouth of the tobique Reel" I had this strong sense that this was my grandmother playing her violin with other saints in heaven, and she is smiling. Listen to this song of joy... a great expression of "heaven". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5jufFWvp4w

No comments: