Thursday, September 23, 2010

let's not fart around



the reading from Ecclesiastes today is "vanity of vanities"... you know the one. The writer must have been suffering from what Kathleen Norris, author of Cloister Walk,and Acedia among others, identifies as "acedia"... one of the original seven deadly sins, I think, but it got retired from the list. She contends though that it is still deadly, because what acedia does is lead the person to say "nothing matters". Eventually, there is no reason to get out of bed or to do anything. Yesterday, I was really getting mad at God, the universe, who ever is in charge and who will listen, about the fact that I know so many people who are bravely living with cancer. It REALLY makes me mad. I don't really think that one person is responsible for the suffering in the world, but I needed to take my anger somewhere, right? I am Irish/Scottish for a reason... I get mad! It always occurs to me LAST that I can take my humanity to God.. that the source of my life cares and knows me.. and will answer me.. I was not disappointed.
from Psalm 90:
In every age, O Lord, you have been our refuge.
Fill us at daybreak with your kindness,
that we may shout for joy and gladness all our days.
Prosper the work of our hands for us!
Prosper the work of our hands!

and so, among other things, God says "Get Moving!!" and I say "Lead me in the right direction, okay? cuz I don't have that much longer to fart around, okay? "

No comments: