Friday, September 17, 2010

friday, september 17, 2010


"Hide me in the shadow of your wings", from Jeremiah. Trying to enter into that phrase, or that prayer request. The prophet Jeremiah, living in the Middle East, compelled to speak what God called him to preach to people, must have sought a retreat from his pubic ministry. That desire to be hidden comes from where? and "in the shadow of your wings" is a little stretch for me. There'd have to be pretty darned big wings to create a big enough shadow to cover or hide me! I'm reminded of children who bury their faces in their mothers legs or laps or skirts. I'm reminded of times I've tried burying my face in Pete's chest. or remembering as a child myself creating forts in our living room and "hiding" inside in the dark and cool created by the blankets. Ooooh. I remember being small enough to sit under an umbrella on the floor and being hidden. Generally, I prefer the light, I think. But there is a moment when being in the shadows is the sort of refreshment called for. I just read a book "Down the Nile" by Rosemary Mahoney. She rows a boat down the river Nile. I recommend this book, so I won't tell much. But, it is hot in Egypt! and so she seeks out shade along the way. Her writing is highly descriptive and so I could sense the mind numbing heat and sought the same shade she did as I read. Where is it that I need shade? figuratively speaking. Where can I seek the shadow of God's wing and find safety and comfort and love?

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Your description of the description of the heat in Egypt and the search for shade reminds me of walking Gunnar-the-dog on a hot day. He'll move quickly in the full sun and slow down in the shade. It makes sense, but my body wants to slow down in the sun to keep from working too hard. But the exposure and the heat is too much for a guy who genetically wants to burrow, so he runs to the shadow. Sounds like the exposure and the heat got to Jeremiah on occasion, too!

Funny, but when I read those words, I think of a baby chick, gathered under its mother's wing. Cool and dark and purposely ignorant of the danger the mother is facing on his behalf. But that's not really the shadow of the wing, it's the wing itself. Hm.

I think when you sit in your quiet room and read and contemplate on your readings, you ARE in the shadow of the wing of God. You think?

Katie said...

beautiful Jennie! yes, and your saying it out loud blesses that experience for me. Thank you!