Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15, 2010

three weeks til Easter. We are more than halfway there. It's been 26 days since Ash Wednesday. Yesterday we were in Gualala taking our leave after a restful, rejuvenating four days at The Sea Ranch. We had to return our keys, do a little bridal shower shopping at our favorite shop (Placewares), and drop off our recyclables. We also went to mass at Mary Star of the Sea Church up on the hill overlooking the ocean. Architecturally the church itself is lovely... lots of light, lots of light colored wood and a cement floor painted the color of water. As one looks out there are tall trees and the ocean in the distance and until very recently, a small garden and several headstones from early settlers. This time Pete noticed a new path and what looked like a station from the Stations of the Cross. It was! a crew of parishioners have installed a path into the woods with stations along the way. Simple blue and white ceramic tiles with images from Christ's passion and death tell our story. The story of our salvation. Without his hanging from a tree for all to see.. would we know how much God loves us? As much as we seem to run away from that truth... I'm not sure anything short of the gift of his life would get through to us. I think I'm going to find an outdoor set of the station s in my neighborhood, walk and recollect the story. Before it's Easter.. and I won't know what it's all about.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Do you think there is a set in your neighborhood or are you going to make one? I think that sounds great!

Katie said...

i "found" one in Danville at the Franciscan retreat center there. Turned out it wasn't what I was looking for... the pamphlet to be used outlined all the ways that the world suffers from injustice. Duh. I know that. I wanted to walk w/ you know who!! I can go on Fridays at one of the local parishes. Gee, Jennie, call me and tell me what your stations would look like?