Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Don't know much trigonometry

from the book of Deutoronomy and today's readings: “However, take care and be earnestly on your guard not to forget the things which your own eyes have seen, nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live, but teach them to your children and to your children’s children.” Here, Moses is speaking to the people of Israel and encouraging them to remain faithful to the Lord, their God. He reminds them to hold on to their own experience and to share that experience with their children. Memory is very important to the Jewish people. I asked the question a while ago: if we are the Body of Christ, what part of the body are you? The answers from people were astounding. My sister: left hip. Another sister: shoulders. Another: arms.
another: ears. Two of my elders I would suggest are "memory". Their favorite thing to do is to recall events from the past. One is a story teller. The other is an historian. In any case, they both hold on to pieces of stories and are compelled to relate them to people who will listen. Because I have a poor memory, I really marvel at and appreciate this contribution to my world view. My mother in law can chronicle the history of the East Bay, in particular her neighborhood, which store used to be where and who owned it and to whom they were married and divorced. It goes on! My father likes to tell stories about his family in southern Ohio. I think most of them are true, but in any event, they are all amusing and worth the listen. They reveal the culture from which he came and to some extent, genetically from whence I came!Like the time his father threw a rock and hit the bull right between the eyes, felling the bull. All in self defense. Feats of strength figure prominently. It is important to remember. and in particular, to remember how God has been with me.. "faithful and ever living God"... always.

No comments: