Saturday, February 6, 2010

February 6, 2010


Picture: Christmas gift Apple Tree 2009 from Mike and Aileen.
Feast of St. Paul Miki and Companions (d. 1597) He was born in Japan between 1564 and 1566. He joined the Society of Jesus and preached the gospel to the Japanese people with great success. When a persecution of the Catholics arose he was arrested together with twenty-five others. Mocked and tortured, they were eventually taken to Nagasaki on 5 February 1597, bound to crosses and speared.


I am frightened by the passion of another, but I am also inspired and awed. When I was a student at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology back in 1982, I met a fellow student from Viet Nam. He told me his story which culminated in his desire to become a priest. He was one of a large family who had years earlier escaped Viet Nam in a boat. All I remember is that his escape involved being at sea for a long time. Eventually, his travels brought him to Berkeley and the Graduate Theological Union. When I met him he was in his late twenties, but he looked older. He smoked a lot of cigarettes and drank a lot of coffee. He was full of life (nicotine and caffeine, too) and passion about his vocation. He spoke with enthusiasm and joy. I can't remember any theological discussions we had, but I remember his energy was "forward moving". I wish I could talk to him now and learn where his journey has taken him since his days as a student. What prompted this memory is that I was trying to imagine the face of St. Paul Miki as he last spoke to the Japanese people ... the face of a man who followed and died for Jesus. In the face of real persecution and the threat of death, these men remained faithful to their call. Where in my life am I challenged to remain faithful? As my mother used to say, "it's not good to compare!"... so I won't compare my circumstances to these men's. I will take inspiration though from their conviction and their sacrifices and TRY to keep putting one foot in front of the other in my circumstances.

No comments: