Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ash wednesday, feb. 17, 2010

From Paul's letter to the Corinthians: "In an acceptable time I heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you. Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation." I'm reminded of a Pete Seeger song from the book of Ecclesiastes: "Turn, turn, turn. For every season, turn turn turn and a time to every purpose under heaven." The birds are singing outside and the sun is shining and it feels like spring. We have daffodils in full yellow bloom. It's Lent! Evidently, the word "lent" comes from an old English word which means "spring". As it happens, it is springtime here where I live. Not according to the calendar, but judging from the warmth, the sun, the birds nesting and the bulbs blooming. My world seems to be turning toward the sun and towards life. Our faith tradition calls me/us to turn to life. (and life in abundance, as Jesus promised.) So, today? I will turn my face to the sun and seek God's blessing so that I can take up my cross knowing that others are doing the same. God bless this Lent.

1 comment:

Alison's Recipes said...

Beautifully said. We are still in the depths of winter. But the days are longer!!