Thursday, September 10, 2009

september 10, 2009

But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as also your Father is merciful.
“Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.” from Luke's gospel from today's readings.

I've wondered sometimes how anyone can be merciful, if they haven't been on the receiving end of mercy. I remember one of my first experiences of mercy. My sisters and I were late for the bus in Columbus, Mississippi. I was maybe a first grader which would have made me 5 or 6 years old. My mother was no doubt upset with us, because if we missed the bus, we weren't going to school that day. I seem to remember that she was still in her bathrobe when she got us to the bus. Anyway, I remember CLIMBing on to the bus and crying hard. A big girl, atleast a third grader, pulled me in to her seat, put her arm around me and said comforting words. She poured third grade love all over me! and because I was in need of comfort, I soaked it in. I've often thought about that little girl. Her kindness was a life line for me. Then I knew what mercy was... I hope that she has had that measure of kindness in her life too.

No comments: