Wednesday, June 17, 2009

infallible love... until the end of time


I'm caught by these two references, one from a reflection I heard given by a priest from the USCCB website, and one from the gospel of Matthew. The first were the words of this priest inviting the listener to "be the infallible sign of God's love through joy" and the second are words of Jesus to his disciples-"behold, I am with you until the end of time". Recently, a friend of mine who lost her husband suddenly in the fall of 2008, shared that while she has lost him, she is discovering and taking comfort in God's love for her... and that the comfort comes in knowing that it is for all time. Shaken by the reality of her husband's absence, she is becoming acquainted with the eternal quality of God. Because eternity is beyond my comprehension, it rings true to me about God. So much of what is ascribed to God by Christians seems to fall short of what is divine.. mostly it's human, and too small. Anyway, I appreciate my friend's experience as she shared it with us. and am mostly grateful that she is acquainted with this aspect of God as she absorbs this shocking loss. I must add too that as my friend described her experience, it was evident that she was really aware of God's presence and really was deeply comforted by this hope of eternal love. The first reference again: the awesomeness of creation, and most amazing, us human beings, is deserving of that infallible love... a love that says "I know you and I love you"... and really does! until the end of time. Wait a minute, it was "infallible sign of God's love... joy." The invitation: to be an infallible sign of God's love through joy. The challenge: to become acquainted with that love. The how-to: whatever works for us individually. ... walks in nature, mass, rosary, community, .... what works for you?

No comments: