Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011

My parents have been married 55 years today. I'm almost 55 years old and I can say that that is a lotta years. In today's gospel, Jesus asks Peter "Do you love me?" and Peter says "You know that I love you." and after three times asking Peter the same questions and Peter acknowledges that yes, he does love our Lord, then Jesus says: Feed my sheep. Peter would go on to spread the good news and in the end was a martyr in Rome. I wonder if Peter ever fished again? or if he abandoned that livelihood and depended on others to feed him as he worked to establish communities of believers. Pete and i met a young woman at the BART station Wednesday night. She had an enormous green backpack on her back and a day pack on her front and looked confused. She was looking for a shuttle that would take her to Amtrak. She had just flown in from Mexico, had taken BART to the Embarcadero in San Francisco, and despite the name -did not provide the embarkation place for her journey. So we tried to help her find her way.. and accompanied her across the Bay on BART to the Oakland City Center stop, where we wished her well.. and advised her to take a taxi if there was no shuttle there. She was headed to Klamath Falls. I hope she made it. Does that count as "feeding my sheep"? It felt like it.. and in the end, as she stepped off of the train, she said with the sweetest sincerity: "Love and Light to you both!" Amen. Italic (Photo: Breton Bay at sunset, May 29, 2011)

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Happy anniversary of the family. Or the start of it, anyway.

The priest pointed out today that Peter only sits by a fire twice in John--once to deny Jesus three times and once to profess love three times. Makes me want to build a fire!

Katie said...

me, too! maybe I will tonight in our backyard fire pit. The priest I heard said that Jesus "grilled" Peter as they "grilled" fish. Har. Religious humor is pathetic.

Becky Johnson said...

Ha!