Tuesday, February 15, 2011

february 15, 2011 feast of St. Cornelius I think


today, my small faithsharing group met and we're still listening to Fr. Michael Crosby, O.F.M. talk about the Beatitudes. He talked about "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." Acc. to Fr. Michael the work "meek" means "nonviolent" after he explained the Greek word from which the translations came.. it is not to be understand as "whimp" or "pushover". I saw a scene on the television news the other night. Across the GGBridge walked a group from Pink Code, which I believe is a peace group. They were carrying signs that said "Yeah, Egypt!"and other positive, celebratory messages.. it was a very moving scene as the camera focused in on the individuals and their signs. They, of course, looked happy.. for a change. Their campaign had a success story to celebrate. Millions of Egyptians peacefully stood against oppression and their voices were heard. So many many lives scarred by the dictatorship of Mubarek. But, in this scene, there were individuals here in San Francisco, able to celebrate a cause for which they work. I was so happy for them. and so touched by their caring about this issue of nonviolence and of peacemaking. I am inspired to seek a nonviolent path in my own life.. in my speech, and in my thoughts and .. the work of which will require awareness and effort and decision. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Amen.

No comments: