Friday, June 25, 2010

time to say goodbye june 25, 2010


i found a video on the internet of a water fountain display in Dubai. It is the most elaborate I have ever seen. Accompanying it on the youtube video was the song "Time to Say Goodbye" sung by Sara Brightman and Andrea Boccelli (sp). Tomorrow my parents return to their home in Denver and after over thirty years you'd think I would get used to it. Nah. It doesn't seem right to me that they should live so far away from all of their children. Such is life. I hate saying goodbye. I have always hated saying goodbye. I've learned to cover as best I can . Generally a few tears sneak their way onto my face. Ugh. When I was in college and I had opted to leave the University of North Dakota after a year and a half, my sweet roommates Kristi and Linda wanted to drive me to the airport to see me off. I was adamant that I did not want that to happen. i'd rather leave them in the dorm with less fanfare. They challenged me, but I was steadfast. I KNEW that I would be a wreck. Being young, I had less experience with goodbyes and my young heart I knew would shudder in paroxysms and I imagined that I would collapse if I'd had to say the big goodbye at the foot of the airplane. My friends loved me! and they were transparent about it. and I loved them. I didn't really want to say goodbye. I didn't know what that meant, exactly, or did I? Maybe I was becoming aware that goodbyes are leaping into the unknown and while carrying memories and relationships with us, we are also leaving behind people and places. God knows, I have done a lot of this in my vagabond life as a military dependent. So, once again, my parents will leave driving off into the sunrise tomorrow morning. Do parents have any idea how much their children love them? I'm often aware that children must have no idea how much we parents love them.... but it must be built in. Time to say goodbye. Waaaaaaa. Check out this fountain: http://www.flixxy.com/burj-khalifa-fount...

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Goodbyes are hard. Aren't you glad Sarah and Andrea don't always accompany your personal farewells? Imagine THAT piping over the airport speakers...