Saturday, June 12, 2010

inheritance, june 12, 2010


The story from the gospel today is the one where Jesus disappears on his parents in jerusalem and they search for him for three days and find him in the Temple. He says to his mom, "did'nt you know I had to be in my Father's house?" I'm picturing that a lot of teenagers used that line with their parents when they snuck out of the house to go play. I was struck by this development in the family dynamic. Jesus, acc. to the gospel, is about 12 yrs old. Maybe that was considered an age of departure... puberty, leaving mama, finding his own identity. For a first time mom, with our oldests, it is quite shocking to discovery that our sons have their own identity and part of that identity is that he does not have to report to you. He is beholden to you, he is related to you, but his identity is his own and his achievements, his activities, his inner thoughts are all his. It is essential that he be given our blessing... and maybe that is what Mary did. At the end of the gospel reading it says that Mary "held all these things in her heart". I'm having a hard time holding all these things in my heart. However, I am being given the permission (kick in the ***) to find my own identity outside of this house. It is very tough to be at one and the same time, holding on to these relationships , as they are more and more sidelined, and to step out and seek my own life. The tug is always more in the direction of these relationships... but the boys don't need me. As far as they are concerned,, they have received all they need. Jesus returned to Nazareth and was obedient to his parents. Hmmm. That word is hardly in the vocabulary of this generation. Nor would I know what to do with that kind of deference. How can I get clear about what I must do for my own life? Seek LIFE!! where it can be found. A friend recently told me about his discovery of rowing in his life. He committed to drive an hour away from his home in order to join a crew team. Let him be my inspiration!!!




No comments: