Friday, February 22, 2008

more laundry

There in the background is the hum and twirl of the washing machine, reminding me of the never ending creation of dirt and my never ending need to clean. I'm wondering if I had to wash all my clothes and household linens by hand if I would somehow be more absolved of my sins? I'd be more aware of my own dirt, that is for sure. Throwing piles of whites into a machine, pouring liquid detergent into a little drawer and pushing that into the machine and turning a few knobs doesn't connect me to the work of really soaping, scrubbing, kneading and rinsing my body's detitrus out of my wearables. Scrubbing my own clothes might just leave me feeling tired and sore. If I washed by hand, I might discover the miracle of a thing made clean, and that I could facilitate that purification, by my own hand! This Lent, my small "faith group" is looking at the way of forgiveness... I can make things clean by joining Christ in making all things new... by forgiving. I'm going to handwash a sweater right now! and ask for God's grace to forgive....

6 comments:

Terri said...

Katie has a blog! Wow - what a wonderful vehicle for your thoughts. You have a gift. Really. Keep writing. It is one way for you to publish your work and share your genius with those of us who can benefit from your eloquent wisdom.
Laundry. Like Kathleen Norris' Of Laundry Liturgy and Women, you speak of those acts that, while they are the most basic and mundane of daily living, are those things where God most reveals Herself to us. I pray for revelation in these moments.
Ter

Pete said...

Katie - What a great start! And a great opportunity to write - definately one of your gifts. (Does this Comment thing have spell check? Some of your responders are pretty much in need.) I look forward to your future comments - let me know if you need some ideas.

Pete

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Maybe if you had to wash everything by hand, you'd just have a higher tolerance for dirt and body smells? We wash a shirt after wearing it once because it's easy to do so. Maybe a little dirt and a little body odor is a good thing....

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

BTW: Love the photo and the profile!

Jennie said...

I'm doing my laundry, too! I only do it once a week, so it is a cyclical ritual for me. It's sort of a review of the week--Alison spilled koolaid on her white turtleneck, Becky wore her "Live, Laugh, Love" t-shirt on the day we had snow flurries, and everyone wore 7 pairs of drawers this week. There's joy, regret, impatience, tolerance, and humility enough in the sorting, washing, drying, folding ritual. I just have to pray a little faster since I'm not handwashing!

Martha said...

Hi Katie!!!!

Your blog is fantastic!!!! I have to tell you I stumbled upon the shout-out I got in your favorite music section. That is the SWEETEST EVER and if ANYTHING could make me even MORE enthusiastic about this blog (I'm already really enthusiastic) some compliments would be the thing.

You write SO well! But, of course, I should have suspected because you were an English major, no? Well I love how much your voice comes out in your writing. It's really neat to check in with you this way and, no pressure, but I'll be DEFINITELY checking this blog out in the future!!

Hope all's well!
Martha